The strawberry festival is around the corner, and you are in the process of preparing for it. You have a stall and have started working on your marketing material. You want to attract the attendees’ attention and win the best stall prize, if possible. However, you are running tight on your budget and know you cannot spend too much more. If you are in this position, we have a fantastic tutorial for you below. We will teach you how to sew a huge strawberry fabric banner. You need simple supplies such as a sewing machine and banner fabric.
Considerations to Have in Mind
Before you start, decide on the shape, size, and color of the banner. You should also decide whether you want a single or two-sided banner. Since it is an outdoor event, your best bet would be to go big and bright. It will help if you sketch a visual of your banner before cutting the fabric.
When picking the fabric, be careful about those that may shrink or fade after washing. It should be strong enough to withstand warping, creasing, or tearing. Calico, linen, or cotton are excellent options.
What You Will Need
- Fabric – this will depend on the size of the stand where you want to hang it.
- Backing fabric
- Tape measure
- Giant fabric strawberry cutouts – you can find these at the arts and crafts stores
- Cutouts of any writing you want to include (you will find fantastic online tutorials to teach you how to do this). Keep it to the minimum to avoid clutter.
- Sewing machine
- Matching thread
- Iron box
- Wooden dowel for hanging. You also have the option of using a frame to hang your banner. You can purchase one or make your own.
- Cut your fabric to the desired size- use your tape measure to achieve the correct measurement. If you are creating a two-sided banner, cut two pieces of the main fabric.
- Cut the backing and interlining to the same shape as your main fabric.
- Decide on the positions you want for the strawberries. You could have a giant one at the center or multiple ones.
- Pin them into position, taking care to align the back and front, if two-sided
- Pin the writings you want to include as well
- Use your sewing machine to sew the cutouts and letter into position.
- Now align all the fabric, lining, and backing, wrong sides up.
- Sew around the banner, but remember to leave a gap where you will turn it.
- Turn the banner inside out, and then use an iron box to flatten or neaten the edges.
- Use a top stitch all around and close the gap.
- Fold the top to make a casing for the wooden dowel.
- Thread the dowel through and tie loops on either end for hanging.
Using a top-rated sewing machine to make your fabric banner is inexpensive and fun. Choose a sturdy fabric that can withstand the elements without warping, creasing, or tearing. Determine the banner’s measurements depending on where you want to hang it, or the size of the booth. Now, go ahead and have some fun making your banner.